Did you know
“If I Can Dream” is a powerful and inspirational song performed by Elvis Presley. It was written by Walter Earl Brown and was recorded by Elvis in 1968. The song holds a special place in Elvis’s career as it was part of his comeback after a period of making movies and focusing less on his music career. Here are some detailed facts about the song:
- Release Date: “If I Can Dream” was recorded in June 1968 and was later released as a single on November 5, 1968. It was also included on his album “Elvis,” commonly referred to as the “1968 Comeback Special” album.
- Songwriter: Walter Earl Brown penned the song as a response to the turbulent times of the late 1960s, which were marked by social and political unrest.
- Musical Style: The song is a blend of rock and gospel influences, and it features a powerful orchestral arrangement. It’s known for its soaring and emotional vocal performance by Elvis.
- Lyrics: The lyrics are reflective and hopeful, expressing a desire for a world where there is unity, understanding, and peace. The song touches on themes of hope, love, and harmony.
- Chart Performance: “If I Can Dream” reached the 12th position on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in the United States.
- Significance: This song is often associated with Elvis’s comeback special, which was a pivotal moment in his career. The TV special, officially titled “Elvis,” aired on December 3, 1968, and marked a return to live performances and a revitalization of his music career.
- Legacy: “If I Can Dream” is considered one of Elvis Presley’s signature songs. Its message of hope and unity continues to resonate with audiences, and it’s frequently performed in tribute to Elvis.
- Cultural Impact: The song’s message and Elvis’s powerful rendition have made it a favorite for various special occasions, including events promoting peace and unity. It has become an anthem for hope and positive change.
“If I Can Dream” remains a timeless classic in Elvis Presley’s discography, celebrated not only for its musical qualities but also for its enduring message of hope and unity in a troubled world.
Got to be birds flying higher in a sky more blue
If I can dream of a better land
Where all my brothers walk hand in hand
Tell me why, oh why, oh why can’t my dream come true?
There must be peace and understanding sometime
Strong winds of promise that will blow away all the doubt and fear
If I can dream of a warmer sun
Where hope keeps shining on everyone
Tell me why, oh why, oh why won’t that sun appear?
We’re lost in a cloud with too much rain
We’re trapped in a world that’s troubled with pain
But as long as a man has the strength to dream
He can redeem his soul and fly
Deep in my heart there’s a trembling question
Still I am sure that the answer’s gonna come somehow
Out there in the dark, there’s a beckoning candle
And while I can think,
While I can talk
While I can stand,
While I can walk
While I can dream,
Please let my dream come true… right now
Let it come true right now