I Heard It Through The Grapevine Song By Creedence Clearwater Revival
About The Song
Title: I Heard It Through the Grapevine
Artist: Creedence Clearwater Revival (CCR)
Release Date: 1973
Album: Cosmo’s Factory
Writers: Norman Whitfield, Barrett Strong
Genre: Swamp Rock, Southern Rock
- Creedence Clearwater Revival’s version of “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” reached No. 43 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1973.
- The song is a notable cover of the classic Motown hit originally recorded by Marvin Gaye.
- CCR’s rendition of “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” is characterized by a swamp rock and Southern rock style.
- The band brings their own gritty and rootsy sound to the song, incorporating bluesy guitar riffs and John Fogerty’s distinctive vocals.
Songwriting and Composition:
- Written by Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong, “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” was originally recorded by various artists, including Marvin Gaye.
- The lyrics convey a sense of heartbreak and betrayal as the narrator learns about a romantic relationship through rumors and hearsay.
- CCR’s version of the song is well-regarded for its unique interpretation, departing from the more soulful renditions by artists like Marvin Gaye and Gladys Knight & the Pips.
- The cover brought a swamp rock flavor to the classic tune and showcased CCR’s ability to put their stamp on diverse musical styles.
Usage in Media:
- CCR’s “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” has been featured in various films, TV shows, and commercials.
- The song’s evocative atmosphere and distinct sound make it a memorable choice for soundtracks.
- While CCR’s version didn’t achieve the same chart success as other renditions, it has become a respected and recognizable interpretation of the classic song.
- The cover reflects Creedence Clearwater Revival’s influence in the rock genre and their ability to reinterpret well-known tracks with their own signature style.
In summary, Creedence Clearwater Revival’s rendition of “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” is a distinctive and gritty take on a classic Motown hit. With its swamp rock influence and John Fogerty’s soulful vocals, the cover adds a new dimension to the timeless song, showcasing CCR’s versatility as a rock band.
🎵 Let’s sing along with the lyrics! 🎤